Houston, TX - KHOU 11 reports an 82-year-old man was killed while attempting to cross Westheimer Road in Houston, TX.
The accident happened around 6:45 a.m. at the 6100 block of Westheimer Road. According to preliminary reports, the man was halfway across the street when he was struck by a Hyundai SUV.
Police are interviewing additional witnesses.
Prevalence of Auto-Pedestrian Accidents
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a pedestrian is killed every 88 minutes in the United States. Those most at risk for an auto-pedestrian accident involves:
- Alcohol-impaired drivers
- Alcohol-impaired pedestrians
- Adults over 65 years of age
- Children under the age of 15
How to Decrease the Risk of Being Hit as a Pedestrian
An auto-pedestrian accident can lead to serious injuries and sometimes death. The following are some pedestrian safety tips to avoid being hit by an automobile:
- If walking at night, consider carrying a flashlight
- Cross at crosswalks or at an intersection when possible
- Walk on the sidewalk, if available
- If no sidewalk is available, walk on the shoulder towards traffic
- Avoid walking while under the influence
- Avoid any devices that may impair full hearing, such as wearing earbuds to hear music.
HRSLawyers.com posts these articles to keep the Greater Houston community informed about traffic accidents and other news. These blog posts are not intended to give legal advice. However, if you or a loved one has been involved in a similar accident and need help from an experienced personal injury lawyer, contact the Houston, TX Personal Injury Lawyers at Hernandez Redden Sunosky, LLP. Our lawyers can help you find answers and obtain monetary compensation for any lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering.
Categories: Auto-Pedestrian Accident; Death
Tags: hernandez redden sunosky; houston, tx auto-pedestrian accident lawyer; houston, tx personal injury lawyer; houston, tx auto-pedestrian accident lawyer; houston, tx accident news